Saturday, March 13, 2010

In America...

In America, there’s this man law that if you’re in a public bathroom stall, but you only have to pee, it’s ok to leave the door ajar/unlocked. I mean you’re only peeing, and your cash and prizes are safely pointed away from the general public [bathroom]. I think of it as a urinal with three walls. No need to lock a urinal.
I thought this man law to be global. Nope. The other day I stopped by the University bathroom with my Jordanian friend Mohammad. When I moseyed into the little stall, did the unzipping, Mohammad rushed up behind me to close the wide-open wooden door. I turned my head around, too late to protest or help him out, but met his eyes. He had this stupefied look, like I was about to eat an unwrapped snickers bar off the bathroom floor. When I finished my pee in solitary confinement, I came out and the guy at the sink next to me was smirking. My look to him said Sorry, I didn’t know about the lock-yourself-in rule. Mohammad was waiting for me outside the door, and I grinned bashfully at him. “Close the door even for number one, huh?”. He gave me that snickers-off-the-bathroom-floor look, and then I had to spend ten minutes explaining to him, in Arabic, the subtleties of numbers one and two.

No comments:

Post a Comment